Sunday, October 19, 2008

The Church...Think Globally, Act Locally

Today's headline on the NPR website: 'Experts Fear Financial Crisis Will Hurt World's Poor'. Doy Ralph. It doesn't take an expert to tell you that when money is tight, the ones who are already needy suffer most. Countries are tightening their belts even tighter and not providing aid as they did in years past. The poor have already been reeling from budget cuts and canceled programs and now the repercussions of this global economic downturn will most certainly strike fear in the hearts of struggling families everywhere.

I totally recognize there is a difference between American poverty and worldwide poverty. I grew up below the poverty line but I still had food and clothes. I can't imagine not having anything to feed my children. Or being sick and not having access to healthcare. Completely beyond the scope of my imagination. We are beyond blessed in this country, yet have a sense of entitlement that disgusts the rest of the world. Nevertheless, I have a heart for the people in my community and how they will be affected.

Springfield/Eugene is a region known for stellar programs for the needy, programs that will inevitably feel the sting of lack of cash flow in the coming months and years. What an amazing opporunity for the local church to show their stuff! Christians are called to feed and clothe the 'least of our brothers' and I believe they'll be coming in droves to their local churches, looking for help in these troubled times. And not only help for their earthly needs but for their spiritual needs as well.

So many inspiring verses about God's heart for the poor:

Psalm 82:3
Defend the cause of the weak and fatherless; maintain the rights of the poor and oppressed.

Psalm 140:12
I know that the LORD secures justice for the poor and upholds the cause of the needy.

Job 29:11, 12
Whoever heard me spoke well of me and those who saw me commended me, because I rescued the poor who cried for help and the fatherless who had none to assist him.

Proverbs 22:9
A generous man will himself be blessed, for he shares his food with the poor.

Proverbs 28:27
He who gives to the poor will lack nothing, but he who closes his eyes to them receives many curses.

Proverbs 31:20
She opens her arms to the poor and extends her hands to the needy [a wife of noble character]


And one of my personal favorites...

Isaiah 58:6-8

6 "Is not this the kind of fasting I have chosen:
to loose the chains of injustice
and untie the cords of the yoke,
to set the oppressed free
and break every yoke?

7 Is it not to share your food with the hungry
and to provide the poor wanderer with shelter—
when you see the naked, to clothe him,
and not to turn away from your own flesh and blood?

8 Then your light will break forth like the dawn,
and your healing will quickly appear;
then your righteousness [a] will go before you,
and the glory of the LORD will be your rear guard."


God, help us be ready!

2 comments:

Unknown said...

I totally agree. And I don't think it will just be the church. I think there will be a resurgence of civic-minded activity and care for each other as a nation on a level we haven't seen in a while. And, sadly, we're gonna need it...

Montag said...

Yes.
God, help us be ready, for someone will have to re-build this country.